Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Virtual Revolution and MySpace

I found episodes 3 & 4 of The BBC's Virtual Revolution to be informing and interesting. Both episodes made great points when talking about the “virtual revolution.” In episode 4 they talk about how homosapiens might be turning into homointerneticus. In the video they try to explain how homosapiens have become so dependent on the Internet that we are now turning into homointerneticus. The citizens of South Korea are actually worried about how the South Korean kids are addicted to the Internet. Internet users put personal information out there when it would probably be better to keep it to your self. Episode 3 was about how the Internet tracks us to see what us consumers are most interested in. This would explain why certain ads show up on our internet.

In 2002 the famous social networking website MySpace, was just meant as virtual storage. It was not until 2004 when MySpace turned into a social networking site. MySpace is now named My_____. With the profile and home layouts changing every so often. The purpose of MySpace is to connect people with their friends online. Members of MySpace can post information such as where they are from or live, what they are interested in, whom they want to meet, and their goals in life, along with them being able to post music that they like to their profile. I thought MySpace was cool in middle school and beginning of high school. I got a MySpace at the end of my eighth grade year. I kept both MySpace and Facebook profiles until the summer of my senior of high school. That summer I stopped checking my MySpace. I loved being able to “pimp out” my profile when I care about my MySpace profile. I thought it was a lot of fun looking for new background designs for my profile. I just looked at the MySpace home page for the first time in months.  I think that the home page looks very cluttered. There is a lot to look at; so much actually that I do not know what to look at. On the home page there is a section that tells the most popular music artists and what people are listening to. The biggest part of the home page is a large number letting people visiting the home page to know how many people just shared what they are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment